For some reason everyone forgets about the concrete in new construction until it’s time to use it. As Rodney Dangerfield used to say “I get no respect”.
Concrete floors in Pole Barns are no exception. Even though a Pole Barn is a utility structure doesn’t mean that the concrete should be overlooked and treated like it’s a dirt floor.
There are a few Pole Barns - What About The Concrete Floor? New Castle KY 40050 options that are cost effective which will help make the concrete easier to keep clean and a better utility floor than just plain concrete.
1. Waterproofer – There are concrete & masonry water repellents that are clear water based products. The use of the right product will waterproof concrete for 5 years and there are 10 year products as well. They work New Castle KY 40050 by reacting with the calcium in concrete tightening the pores. Water will actually bead up just like on a waterproofed wood deck.
2. Sealers – there are solvent and water based floor sealers that will protect the concrete surface. They provide a clear coat and make the concrete easy to clean. Cost is affordable, about 25 cents to 50 cents per square Choosing Flooring Material: Six Beautiful Options New Castle KY 40050 foot depending on the quality and the amount of layers you use. If using a solvent based sealer dilute with Acetone or Zylene. Thinner coats actually are more effective than heavy coats.
3. Epoxy – There are a few epoxy floor coating options. Water based epoxy floor paint which can be a stand alone application. Urethanes can be applied to the waterbased New Castle KY 40050 epoxy and for a heavy coating a 100% high build epoxy with Urethane can be applied. Costs range from 50 cents per square foot to as much as $2.00. Quartz applications in epoxy can be even higher.
4. Acid Stain – If you’re looking for an earth tone decorative finish there are do it yourself acid stain systems for 50 cents to New Castle KY 40050 1 dollar per square foot. The cost depends on the type of sealer you use. There are clear water based epoxy sealers, water based acrylic urethanes, acrylic solvent based sealers and water based acrylic sealers.
5. Concrete overlays – there are a few do it yourself concrete coatings available that provide a highly decorative finish. The coatings are thin skim coats and New Castle KY 40050 can be integrally colored, stained and dyed. The sealers are the same as above. Plan on about $1.50 – $2.00 per square foot.
Any of the above systems will at the least protect the concrete and make it a lot easier to clean.